What are the different forms of cyberbullying?

Cyberbullying, which is sometimes referred to as online social cruelty or electronic bullying, has been defined as an aggressive, intentional act carried out by a group or individual, using electronic forms of contact, repeatedly and over time against a victim who cannot easily defend him or herself. Traditional bullying involves actions such as hitting or punching (physical bullying), teasing or name-calling (verbal bullying), or intimidation through gestures or social exclusion.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, bullying is aggressive behavior that is intentional and involves an imbalance of power or strength. Usually, it is repeated over time.  In recent years, technology has given children and youth a new means of bullying each other.

Continue Learning about Children's Emotional Health

What should I do if my child acts insensitively to others?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Whenever your child displays insensitivity, be sure to explain why you consider the child’s beha...
What are the benefits of raising a more optimistic child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
A growing number of studies confirm the powerful benefits for nurturing positive attitudes in ou...
What Harm Can Sexualization of Young Girls Cause?
How Can My Child or Teen Take Control of His Emotions?