How do children react to traumatic experiences?

Children often experience anxiety following traumatic incidents. They may also suffer from depression and posttraumatic stress disorder. Typical reactions of children following disasters include sleep problems, being overly alert, excessive fears, constant thinking about or talking about the incident, a belief that it will happen again, developmental regressions, and being excessively attached to parents.

Following a disaster or trauma, the world may seem less secure and unpredictable for your child. This is a time when kids need to depend on their parents more than ever for support and stability. It’s also imperative that parents pay close attention to changes in their children’s behavior that may indicate a need for professional help.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Children's Emotional Health

How can I help my child get over a trauma?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Know first that children are not usually as aware of or able to express their feelings as easily and...
What affects children's happiness?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Just like with an adult, half of a child's happiness is determined by natural temperament. Social re...
How Can My Child or Teen Take Control of His Emotions?
What Harm Can Sexualization of Young Girls Cause?