How can I help my child express anger in a way that reduces yelling?

Michele Borba
Explain that instead of starting messages with “You,” begin with “I.” It helps your kid stay focused on the person’s troublesome behavior without putting the person down so the chances for emotional outbursts (and yelling) are lessened. The child then tells the offender what the person did that upset him. He may also state how he’d like the problem resolved. For example: “I get really upset when you take my stuff. I want you to ask me for permission first.”  Or: “I don’t like to be teased. Please stop.”

Continue Learning about Children's Emotional Health

Can a child use mindfulness to deal with a mental health problem?
Gina M. BiegelGina M. Biegel
Mindfulness is a useful resource for anyone dealing with a mental health issue. In this video, p...
What are the most common mood disorders in children?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The most common types of episodic mood disorders in children are depression, which is marked by a su...
How Can My Child or Teen Take Control of His Emotions?
What Harm Can Sexualization of Young Girls Cause?