What questions should I ask my doctor about eating disorders?

Review the following questions to ask about eating disorders so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare professional.
  • What are my options for treatment?
  • How would you describe your approach to eating disorders treatment?
  • How do you address depression and/or anxiety? What if I do not feel like I am depressed or anxious?
  • Will you involve my family?
  • What role, if any, will medication play? What percentage of people who see you take medication? Which medications?
  • What can I expect from the medications?
  • What can I expect during a counseling session?
  • When, if ever, do you hospitalize patients?
  • What goals would we set for my treatment?
  • What does the recovery process look like?

Continue Learning about Eating Disorders

The Hazards of Hyping Super Thin
The Hazards of Hyping Super Thin
A woman walks into a doctor’s office with a carrot in her left ear, a stalk of celery in her right and an asparagus spear in each nostril. “Doc, what’...
What is a pack eater?
The pack eater is consciously aware of his or her strategy. They might not be too stressed out o...
What are the major categories of eating disorders?
The primary eating disorders include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge-eating disorder. An...
The Woman Who Eats Paper, Plastic, and Rubber