Will a child be treated in the ER if unaccompanied by an adult?

A child will be treated in the emergency room (ER) if unaccompanied by an adult. Life-saving evaluation and treatment will be performed even if the parent or guardian is not present. Every attempt is made to contact the parents as quickly as possible to inform them of their child’s condition and obtain consent for treatment. Less emergent evaluation and treatment is typically delayed until the parent or guardian can be reached for consent. Certain conditions may not require parental consent for treatment, such as psychiatric illness, substance abuse or birth control.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

Where will my child go for critical care treatment?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Children will go to an intensive care unit, or ICU, for critical care treatment. Newborns will go to...
How can I help my toddler cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your toddler cope with hospitalization by preparing him or her a day before the hospita...
How can I explain what surgery is to my children?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To explain what surgery is to your children, tell them that surgery is a procedure that people have ...
How is a child with MRSA treated in the ICU?
MRSA or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is a “super bug” bacteria that is no longer ...