Will a child be treated in the ER if unaccompanied by an adult?

A child will be treated in the emergency room (ER) if unaccompanied by an adult. Life-saving evaluation and treatment will be performed even if the parent or guardian is not present. Every attempt is made to contact the parents as quickly as possible to inform them of their child’s condition and obtain consent for treatment. Less emergent evaluation and treatment is typically delayed until the parent or guardian can be reached for consent. Certain conditions may not require parental consent for treatment, such as psychiatric illness, substance abuse or birth control.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

How can I keep my child out of the emergency room (ER)?
The most important way to help keep your child out of the emergency room (ER) is to have a primary c...
When should I take my child to the ER for an allergic reaction?
An allergic reaction can cause mild symptoms to a severe, life-threatening condition called anaphyla...
What are common stressors that hospitalized infants may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some common stressors that hospitalized infants may experience include the following: separation...
How can I help my teenager cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To help your teenager cope with hospitalization, try the following: respect and maintain privacy...