What is critical care for children?

Joane Goodroe
Nursing

Critical care for children is the same as the "intensive care unit" for adults. The staff is specially trained to take care of children who are in critical condition due to a surgery, an accident, a disease or other condition that requires very intense level of medications, therapies and monitoring. These are very special units with staff that have excellent training and skills.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

What is a pediatric critical care unit?
The Children’s Hospital at TriStar CentennialThe Children’s Hospital at TriStar Centennial
In a pediatric intensive care unit, medical professionals take care of the sickest children -- from ...
How can I prepare my teenager for hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Begin preparing your teenager for hospitalization a couple weeks to a month ahead of time. This will...
How can I keep my child out of the emergency room (ER)?
The most important way to help keep your child out of the emergency room (ER) is to have a primary c...
How can I help my infant cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your infant cope with hospitalization by being prepared. Infants can sense if you are s...