Does the pediatric intensivist treat children with cancer?

Alvin Jeffery
Pediatric Nursing

Yes, a pediatric intensivist can treat children with cancer. However, a hematologist/oncologist (cancer specialist) will be responsible for the treatment of the actual cancer. The intensivist is responsible for treating severe/life-threatening problems that develop due to the cancer. These problems may include respiratory distress/failure, low blood pressure, bleeding, etc.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

How can I help my toddler cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your toddler cope with hospitalization by preparing him or her a day before the hospita...
How can I help my neonate cope with having to be hospitalized?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your neonate cope with having to be hospitalized by being prepared. Neonates can sense ...
How can I explain what a CT scan is to my child?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can explain what a CT scan is to your child by telling him or her that CT stands for computed to...
What is critical care for children?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
Critical care for children is the same as the "intensive care unit" for adults. The staff is special...