Does the pediatric intensivist treat children in respiratory distress?

Alvin Jeffery
Pediatric Nursing

Yes, the pediatric intensivist can treat children with respiratory distress. However, respiratory distress can range in severity from very mild to very severe. When the distress is more mild, an intensivist is probably not needed.

Children spend a large amount of their energy on breathing, so if their breathing begins to be compromised and respiratory distress becomes severe, they may be admitted to a critical care unit where an intensivist will treat them. If the problem is more mild, treatment may be delivered in an outpatient clinic, the emergency department, or on a general care unit at the hospital.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

When should I take my child to the emergency room for a rash?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
It can be difficult to determine whether you should treat your child's rash or skin irritation at ho...
What are common stressors that hospitalized newborns may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some common stressors that hospitalized newborns may experience include the following: loud nois...
How can I make sure my child gets good care in the emergency room (ER)?
West Florida HospitalWest Florida Hospital
To make sure your child gets good care in the emergency room (ER) always ask questions, but also be ...
Where will my child go for critical care treatment?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Children will go to an intensive care unit, or ICU, for critical care treatment. Newborns will go to...