Does the pediatric intensivist treat children in respiratory distress?

Alvin Jeffery
Pediatric Nursing

Yes, the pediatric intensivist can treat children with respiratory distress. However, respiratory distress can range in severity from very mild to very severe. When the distress is more mild, an intensivist is probably not needed.

Children spend a large amount of their energy on breathing, so if their breathing begins to be compromised and respiratory distress becomes severe, they may be admitted to a critical care unit where an intensivist will treat them. If the problem is more mild, treatment may be delivered in an outpatient clinic, the emergency department, or on a general care unit at the hospital.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

When should I call 9-1-1 if my child has abdominal pain?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Abdominal pain is very common in children. It can be a reaction to food and activity or the symptom ...
How is a child with MRSA treated in the ICU?
MRSA or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is a “super bug” bacteria that is no longer ...
What are common stressors that hospitalized infants may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some common stressors that hospitalized infants may experience include the following: separation...
How can I keep my child out of the emergency room (ER)?
The most important way to help keep your child out of the emergency room (ER) is to have a primary c...