Does the pediatric intensivist treat bronchopulmonary dysplasia?

Generally, infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) are cared for in the neonatal intensive care unit.  If they require very prolonged hospitalization, they may be transferred to the pediatric ICU.  Since infants with BPD are prone to more severe symptoms when they acquire a respiratory infection, they often are readmitted to a PICU in the first two years of life.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

How can I explain to my child what happens during a CT scan?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To explain to your child what happens during a computerized tomography (CT) scan, you can tell him o...
How do doctors approach caring for a child in the emergency room (ER)?
Citrus Memorial HospitalCitrus Memorial Hospital
Doctors gather as much information as possible from the child, rather than his parents, in the emerg...
Will a child be treated in the ER if unaccompanied by an adult?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
A child will be treated in the emergency room (ER) if unaccompanied by an adult. Life-saving evaluat...
What are common stressors that hospitalized newborns may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some common stressors that hospitalized newborns may experience include the following: loud nois...