How does the NICU handle bottles and pacifiers?

The NICU handles bottles and pacifiers according to the wishes of the parents.

Once your baby is taking most of her feedings by nursing, she’ll be offered bottles when you’re not available to breastfeed. Babies often take both breast and bottles without a problem. Keep pumping and bringing your milk to the newborn intensive care unit (NICU).

During your visit, don’t give your baby a pacifier. It’s best if you comfort your baby in the NICU. However, the NICU staff will give your baby a pacifier if you’re not here, especially if she is fussy or having a painful procedure. The pacifier can help comfort her.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

What is a pediatric critical care physician?
Brandon Regional HospitalBrandon Regional Hospital
A pediatric critical care physician is trained to take care of children who are critically ill or in...
What are some stressors hospitalized teenagers may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some stressors that hospitalized teenagers may experience include the following: lack of trust ...
Will a child need critical care for severe respiratory infections?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Whether or not a child needs critical care for severe respiratory infections depends on how severe t...
How can I help my infant cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your infant cope with hospitalization by being prepared. Infants can sense if you are s...