How do doctors approach caring for a child in the emergency room (ER)?

Doctors gather as much information as possible from the child, rather than his parents, in the emergency room.

First and foremost, healthcare professionals make sure that the child is medically stable upon arrival in the emergency room (ER). They do this by checking the child's vital signs (heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, blood pressure and oxygen saturation) and the child's overall appearance. Once they determine that the child's condition is stable, the approach to caring for the child becomes a bit different. The ER team tries to minimize the amount of pain and fear associated with lab and imaging tests. For example, they try to avoid starting an intravenous (IV) line, and if certain tests like magnetic resonance imaging are needed, they may give some sedation to help the child relax or sleep in the large and noisy machine.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

How can I keep my child out of the emergency room (ER)?
The most important way to help keep your child out of the emergency room (ER) is to have a primary c...
How does the NICU handle bottles and pacifiers?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
The NICU handles bottles and pacifiers according to the wishes of the parents.
How can I make sure my child gets good care in the emergency room (ER)?
One way to make sure your child receives good care in the emergency room (ER) is to provide an accur...
How does the pediatric intensivist diagnose MRSA in kids?
Dianne ParkerDianne Parker
MRSA, methicillin resistant staph aureus, is diagnosed by sending a tissue or body fluid sample to t...