How do doctors approach caring for a child in the emergency room (ER)?

Doctors gather as much information as possible from the child, rather than his parents, in the emergency room.

First and foremost, healthcare professionals make sure that the child is medically stable upon arrival in the emergency room (ER). They do this by checking the child's vital signs (heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, blood pressure and oxygen saturation) and the child's overall appearance. Once they determine that the child's condition is stable, the approach to caring for the child becomes a bit different. The ER team tries to minimize the amount of pain and fear associated with lab and imaging tests. For example, they try to avoid starting an intravenous (IV) line, and if certain tests like magnetic resonance imaging are needed, they may give some sedation to help the child relax or sleep in the large and noisy machine.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

Does the pediatric intensivist treat children in respiratory distress?
Alvin JefferyAlvin Jeffery
Yes, the pediatric intensivist can treat children with respiratory distress. However, respiratory di...
When should I call 9-1-1 if my child has abdominal pain?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Abdominal pain is very common in children. It can be a reaction to food and activity or the symptom ...
What are common stressors that hospitalized toddlers may experience?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some common stressors that hospitalized toddlers may experience include the following: separatio...
How can I help my infant cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can help your infant cope with hospitalization by being prepared. Infants can sense if you are s...