Will a child need critical care for severe respiratory infections?

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician

Whether or not a child needs critical care for severe respiratory infections depends on how severe the respiratory infection. If extra oxygen is needed, admission to the hospital is required. How much oxygen is needed and how much respiratory distress the child has determines whether the child needs critical care or not. In addition, past medical history and age play a large role. For newborns, immune compromised and very sick children or underlying lung problems, a more conservative approach is taken. They may be admitted for critical care earlier for both treatment and because they have the potential to get worse more quickly.

If a child with a severe respiratory infection develops respiratory failure he or she will require critical care. At this point the chest muscles have tired and the child can no longer breathe adequately. This results in the oxygen lowering and carbon dioxide increasing in the blood. A ventilator will breathe for the child until the cause of respiratory distress improves.

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

How can I explain what surgery is to my children?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To explain what surgery is to your children, tell them that surgery is a procedure that people have ...
How can I help my teenager cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To help your teenager cope with hospitalization, try the following: respect and maintain privacy...
How can I prepare my teenager for hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Begin preparing your teenager for hospitalization a couple weeks to a month ahead of time. This will...
When should I take my child to the ER for an allergic reaction?
An allergic reaction can cause mild symptoms to a severe, life-threatening condition called anaphyla...