Where will my child go for critical care treatment?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Children will go to an intensive care unit, or ICU, for critical care treatment. Newborns will go to a Neonatal ICU (NICU) and older children will likely go to a Pediatric ICU (PICU). If your child is a newborn with a heart problem, they will likely go to a Cardiac ICU (CICU). If the hospital does not have a cardiac ICU and heart surgery is needed, the baby will likely stay in the Neonatal ICU until the surgery and then be transferred to the Pediatric ICU after the surgery.
Alvin Jeffery
Pediatric Nursing

Critical care treatment is typically best provided in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU). 

Depending on the illness/injury that occurs, treatment may begin in an Emergency Department, but this is mainly done to diagnosis the problem and stabilize any life-threatening conditions. All Emergency Departments can accept both children and adults; however, the Emergency Departments found in a pediatric/children's hospital focus primarily on children. 

After the Emergency Department has managed any life-threatening illnesses/injuries, if critical care treatment is required, the child will be transferred to an ICU. Ideally, children will move to a Pediatric ICU. If it is a children's hospital, there may be two types of ICU's...a PICU (Pediatric ICU) and a CICU (Cardiac ICU). Because children with heart problems require very specialized care, a separate unit for cardiac care has been created in many children's hospitals where the nurses and doctors have received additional, specialized training in this area. If not heart condition is present, the PICU will be the best place for your child. 

If your child is less than a week old or born prematurely, the NICU (Neonatal ICU) may be the best place for him/her. 

Continue Learning about Children In Critical Care

When should I take my child to the ER for an allergic reaction?
An allergic reaction can cause mild symptoms to a severe, life-threatening condition called anaphyla...
What are common coping behaviors for hospitalized teenagers?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Common coping behaviors for hospitalized teenagers include the following: defense mechanisms i...
Does the pediatric intensivist treat children in respiratory distress?
Alvin JefferyAlvin Jeffery
Yes, the pediatric intensivist can treat children with respiratory distress. However, respiratory di...
When should I call 9-1-1 if my child has abdominal pain?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Abdominal pain is very common in children. It can be a reaction to food and activity or the symptom ...