What is used to determine if a child is overweight or has obesity?

To determine if your child is overweight or has obesity, your healthcare provider can use a growth chart, based on height and age, to determine a percentile based on the average weight your child should be. Also, you can calculate body mass index based on your child's height and weight.

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

Does Fat-Shaming Make Kids Gain Weight?
Does Fat-Shaming Make Kids Gain Weight?
In the 2018 film Dumplin’, Rosie (Jennifer Aniston) is a former beauty queen and mother of a teen nicknamed Dumplin’ (Danielle Macdonald), a toxic lab...
How can I reduce my child's risk for obesity?
The best way to reduce your child's risk for childhood obesity is to create healthy habits that will...
How can I make sure my child eats a healthy lunch at school?
If you’re interested in knowing what foods your child is being exposed to at school, you can ask sch...
What Are Preventable Health Outcomes?
What Are Preventable Health Outcomes?