How can I reduce my child's risk for obesity?

The best way to reduce your child's risk for childhood obesity is to create healthy habits that will stay with him or her into adulthood. For example, encourage fresh fruits and vegetables with every meal and limit sugary snacks and drinks such as soda and juice. Limiting computer, phone and TV time and replacing that time with physical activity such as organized sports or playing outdoors with neighborhood friends helps a child stay physically fit. It is important that parents be involved with healthy choices and that everyone participate. This way,  everyone can benefit from a healthy lifestyle. 
Rose Reisman
There are steps that parents can take to prevent or reduce the risk of their children becoming obese and leading unhealthy lives. Parents must be positive role models. If you're snacking on potato chips, pop and candy, you can't be telling your kids not to.
  • Eating should be enjoyable, not mechanical. Eat at the table and together if possible. Forget about eating in front of the computer, TV or in the car.
  • Don't reward kids with food.
  • Watch what your children drink, since there are many hidden calories in beverages. You should limit the amount of fruit juice. Better to eat fruits rather than drink them, since there are more nutrients in the food, and food is more satisfying.
  • Don't completely deprive your children of any foods. Allow them to indulge occasionally. Be careful of labeling foods as "good" and "bad."
  • Pack their lunches, since most school cafeteria offerings aren't ideal. Try to include the four food groups in their lunch. It might be as easy as a sliced turkey sandwich, with a few vegetables and fruit yogurt. Form a school committee to try to get your school cafeteria to change its menu selections to include healthier choices.
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

Is Poor Sleep Making Kids Obese?
Is Poor Sleep Making Kids Obese?
Childhood obesity is an American epidemic, affecting almost 1 in 5 children and adolescents. And while it’s well understood that unhealthy diets and a...
How can we fight childhood obesity?
The best ways to prevent childhood obesity are to provide your kids with healthy, nutritious meals, ...
When should I call my child's healthcare provider about his obesity?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Call your child's healthcare provider about his obesity if: Your child has a rash or itchy skin afte...
Is Closing the Disparity Gap in Healthcare an Achievable Goal?