How is obesity in children diagnosed?

To diagnose obesity in a children, the healthcare provider measures his height and weight, and possibly also his waist. He may test your child's blood and urine for extra sugar. He will ask questions about your child's habits and activities. Tell healthcare providers if there are other family members who are obese, or have medical problems.

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

Sugar Substitutes, Your Kids and the National Obesity Crisis
We’re here to talk about a nutritional slight of hand that’s tricking your body and making you more likely to pack on the pounds, even as you try to s...
When should I call my child's healthcare provider about his obesity?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Call your child's healthcare provider about his obesity if: Your child has a rash or itchy skin afte...
How is obesity in children treated?
Obesity in children develops over time, and it takes time to lose weight in a healthy way. The goals...
What Are Preventable Health Outcomes?
What Are Preventable Health Outcomes?