How can obesity affect a child's sleep?

About 25 to 50% of children who are obese have some form of sleep apnea, which affects their ability to exericse and lose weight.

Jodie Shield
Healthcare Specialist

Sleep disorders such as sleep apnea occur in about 17 percent of obese children and teens. Sleep apnea is when people stop breathing for short periods of time while sleeping. It is a serious problem, and kids who have sleep apnea often perform poorly in school.

Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

Is Poor Sleep Making Kids Obese?
Is Poor Sleep Making Kids Obese?
Childhood obesity is an American epidemic, affecting almost 1 in 5 children and adolescents. And while it’s well understood that unhealthy diets and a...
How do I know if my child is overweight?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recently published new charts that create a different way ...
At what age should I worry about my child becoming obese?
Jeremiah Forster, NASM Elite TrainerJeremiah Forster, NASM Elite Trainer
Before they are born.  I have said it time and time again that the health of our children is our res...
What Is a Good Way to Approach the Issue of Weight with my Children?