Does obesity affect children differently than adults?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
Obesity isn't just a cosmetic issue. In this video, pediatrician Dr. Alan Greene details the many ways that childhood obesity can impact a person forever.

Obesity creates the same symptoms and problems in children as it does in adults, resulting often in an early onset of diabetes. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the prevalence of obesity among children and adolescents has almost tripled since 1980. Currently, 17 percent of U.S. children and adolescents suffer from obesity.

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

The Solution for Childhood Obesity Starts at Home
What do 8.9 percent of 2- to 5-year-olds, 17.5 percent of 6- to 11-year-olds, and 20.5 percent of 12- to 19-year-olds in the U.S. have in common? Asid...
When should I seek immediate care for my child's obesity?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Seek care related to your child's obesity immediately or call 911 if: Your child has chest pain. Yo...
How can I reduce my child's risk for obesity?
The best way to reduce your child's risk for childhood obesity is to create healthy habits that will...
Is Closing the Disparity Gap in Healthcare an Achievable Goal?