What is childhood obesity?

Childhood obesity is defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as a body mass index (BMI) for children ages 2 to 18 at or above the 95th percentile of children of the same age and sex. BMI is calculated using a child's height and weight. The CDC website has a BMI calculator that you may use to determine your child's BMI. Of note, children at or above the 85th percentile but below the 95th percentile are considered to be overweight.

Currently, approximately 17% of American children and adolescents are considered obese. Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of a person's weight in relationship to his/her height and is used to determine if a child is overweight or obesity.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), children and adolescents (aged 2—19 years) is classified as:

• Overweight: If his/her BMI is at or above the 85th percentile and lower than the 95th percentile for children of the same age and sex.
  • Obese: If his/her BMI is at or above the 95th percentile for children of the same age and sex.

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Childhood obesity is defined as having a body mass index, or BMI, that is greater than the 95th percentile. Overweight is when the BMI is greater than the 85th percentile.

Even if your child is not yet obese, please talk to your pediatrician about ways to have a better match between height and weight.  If it goes untreated, obesity will affect both your child's physical and mental health.

Teneisha C. Davis, MD
Family Medicine

BMI also known as body mass index is an accepted method of determing if a child is overweight or obese.  This measurement is only accurated in children two and up.

Underweight — BMI <5th percentile for age and sex.

Normal weight — BMI between the 5th and 85th percentile for age and sex.

Overweight — BMI between the 85th and 95th percentile for age and sex.

Obese — BMI ≥95th percentile for age and sex.

Extreme obesity — BMI ≥120 percent of the 95th percentile values, OR a BMI≥35. This corresponds to approximately the 99th percentile, or BMI z-score ≥2.33

Continue Learning about Childhood Obesity

What Is One of the Biggest Threat to the Health of Our Youth Population?
Does Childhood Obesity Affect Health in Adulthood?
How Can I Encourage My Overweight Teen to Lose Weight?
Is Access to Healthy Living Getting Worse?