Is chickenpox serious?

When chickenpox infects a normally healthy child, it usually will clear up without special treatment and is not considered serious. But certain individuals who contract chickenpox may run into serious health issues. Pregnant women, newborns, adults, people with weak immune systems or those who are on cancer treatments or steroid medications, may be susceptible to other skin infections, pneumonia, and encephalitis. The baby of a pregnant woman with chickenpox has a small chance to develop birth defects because of the virus.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

How long will my child with chickenpox be contagious?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A child with chickenpox is contagious about two days before the rash appears and until all the sores...
Will my unborn baby be immune to chickenpox if I already had it?
Yes, your baby will receive the antibodies to fight off chickenpox through the placenta. This is cal...
What is chickenpox (varicella)?
The classic diagnosis of chicken pox/varicella (viral) is made when you see three types of lesions a...
Is there a way I can find out if I ever had chickenpox?
Yes, if you don't remember having chickenpox you can find out through a blood test. Although you...