How can I protect my child against chickenpox?

Chickenpox is caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). Children can be protected from VZV by getting the chickenpox (varicella) vaccine. This is usually given between the ages of 12 and 15 months, with a booster shot at 4 to 6 years old. Although some children who are immunized will still get chickenpox, the symptoms are usually much milder than in unvaccinated kids.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

How should I clean my child's skin if she has chickenpox?
Talk to your dermatologist about how to wash your child's skin when he or she has chickenpox. Th...
Will my unborn baby be immune to chickenpox if I already had it?
Yes, your baby will receive the antibodies to fight off chickenpox through the placenta. This is cal...
Can my child go to school if he or she has chickenpox?
Your child should not go to school if he or she has chickenpox. Chickenpox is extremely contagious a...
What is chickenpox (varicella)?
Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly contagious viral infection that is transmitted by airborne dr...