How can I protect my child against chickenpox?

Chickenpox is caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV). Children can be protected from VZV by getting the chickenpox (varicella) vaccine. This is usually given between the ages of 12 and 15 months, with a booster shot at 4 to 6 years old. Although some children who are immunized will still get chickenpox, the symptoms are usually much milder than in unvaccinated kids.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

What is chickenpox (varicella)?
The classic diagnosis of chicken pox/varicella (viral) is made when you see three types of lesions a...
Will a bath spread a chickenpox rash?
Don't worry. Baths will not spread the rash you have from chickenpox from one part of the body to an...
Is there a way I can find out if I ever had chickenpox?
Yes, if you don't remember having chickenpox you can find out through a blood test. Although you...
How long should I keep my child out of school with the chickenpox?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The trouble with chickenpox is that it is contagious for a good majority of the time your child has ...