How is chickenpox (varicella) diagnosed?

Chickenpox is diagnosed based on your symptoms and findings from your physical exam. Your healthcare provider will ask questions about the timing and location of your rash as well as associated symptoms, including fever, headache, itching and fatigue. The exam focus is on your skin, looking for a rash consisting of raised red bumps, fluid-filled blisters and crusts. 

Your doctor will probably be able to diagnose chickenpox through a mere physical exam. That's because the rash associated with chickenpox is a tell-tale sign of the viral infection. You will also be asked about other symptoms you are experiencing to confirm the diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox

How long will my child with chickenpox be contagious?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
A child with chickenpox is contagious about two days before the rash appears and until all the sores...
What should I know about taking care of a child with chickenpox?
You should know that if your child is otherwise healthy, then the chickenpox will probably turn ...
When should I call my child’s doctor about chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor if your child: • Is lethargic (does not smile or show interest in playing ...
Is chickenpox serious?
When chickenpox infects a normally healthy child, it usually will clear up without special treat...