What treatment will my child get for chickenpox?

Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines to follow include:

• Give acetaminophen (Tylenol®, Tempra®, Panadol®) if prescribed by your child’s doctor to control fever, aches, or pains. Follow the directions on the box carefully or ask your child’s doctor how much medicine to give.

- Do not give your child more than 5 doses of acetaminophen in a 24-hour period.

- Do not give acetaminophen to babies less than 3 months of age without a doctor's order

• DO NOT use aspirin because of the risk of Reyes Syndrome.

• DO NOT give your child ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®, Pediaprofen®).

• Give plenty of clear liquids.

• Infants under 12 months old should be offered Infalyte®, Pedialyte® or Ricelyte® or store brand as directed by your child’s doctor.

• Rest.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox Treatment

How effective is the chickenpox vaccine?
The chickenpox vaccine has proven to be rather effective in protecting children against the viru...
If my child has chickenpox, how can I make him more comfortable?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Use cool, wet compresses or bathe your child in cool or lukewarm water or oatmeal products every thr...
What are the treatment options for chickenpox?
Time is usually the main treatment option for children with chickenpox. It is caused by a virus, so ...
Can I take an antihistamine for the itch of chickenpox?
Sometimes doctors will suggest people with chickenpox take an antihistamine for the itchiness relate...