What are the treatment options for chickenpox?

Time is usually the main treatment option for children with chickenpox. It is caused by a virus, so antibiotics won't help it improve. Of course, if there is an associated infection with blisters, your child might be given an antibiotic treatment to kill off bacteria.

If your doctor has determined that you're susceptible to the more serious illnesses linked to chickenpox, you may be given an antiviral drug like acyclovir to help reduce the effects of the disease.

Otherwise, taking cool water baths with oatmeal, using calamine lotion, eating non-aggravating (or bland) foods, and getting some good, old-fashioned rest can help with the disease.

Chickenpox in healthy children usually does not require treatment. Antihistamines, calamine lotion, cool oatmeal baths and acetaminophen (Tylenol) are used to treat the symptoms and reduce itching. If you or your child are having worsening symptoms or have additional severe health conditions, your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication to help shorten the duration of the illness.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox Treatment

What treatment will my child get for chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines t...
How can I keep my child from scratching chickenpox?
It may be hard to keep a child from scratching at the unbearably itchy rash of chickenpox. But it is...
How can I relieve the itching from my child’s chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
•        Give him frequent lukewarm baths, (you may add baking soda or oatmeal to the bath water)•  ...
What medications treat chickenpox?
Children with chickenpox usually don't take any medications to help treat it. But if you're at risk ...