How can I relieve the itching from my child’s chickenpox?

•        Give him frequent lukewarm baths, (you may add baking soda or oatmeal to the bath water)

•        Apply calamine lotion to the rash

-       DO NOT put calamine near the eyes or in the mouth

-       DO NOT use creams containing diphenhydramine unless ordered by your child’s doctor

•        Give oral medicines if ordered by your child’s doctor

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox Treatment

How effective is the chickenpox vaccine?
The chickenpox vaccine has proven to be rather effective in protecting children against the viru...
Can I take an antihistamine for the itch of chickenpox?
Sometimes doctors will suggest people with chickenpox take an antihistamine for the itchiness relate...
What treatment will my child get for chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines t...
What are the treatment options for chickenpox?
Time is usually the main treatment option for children with chickenpox. It is caused by a virus, so ...