What happens before I receive chemotherapy or biotherapy?

These steps will take place before you receive chemotherapy or biotherapy:
  • Your healthcare provider will take a complete medical history. This is very important for safe care. Be sure to report all medical problems, recent illnesses, allergies, and current medications. Report any previous side effects to chemotherapy or biotherapy medication.
  • You will receive a complete physical exam. This is to make sure that your body is healthy enough to have chemotherapy or biotherapy.
  • You may have lab tests, x-rays, or other tests. These tests help tell if the chemotherapy or biotherapy is working. They also tell if it is safe for you to receive chemotherapy or biotherapy.
  • You may have an IV placed in a vein. This is so the chemotherapy or biotherapy can be given through the IV. If you have a central line, you will not need to have an IV.
  • You may be given medicine to prevent nausea.

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
Could my foot and ankle swelling be caused from chemotherapy?
Cheryl TaylorCheryl Taylor
Chemotherapy can cause swelling in the feet and ankles. It could be due to fluid volume associated w...
What are some long-term side effects of chemo?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Many chemo side effects go away fairly quickly, but some may take months or even years to completely...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?