How can I manage weight during chemotherapy?

Christopher S. Ho, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Learn why a patient’s weight is something healthcare providers should watch carefully during chemotherapy. Watch this video with Christopher Ho, MD from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center.
Some people will gain weight during and after chemotherapy treatments. This can be the result of side effects from some of the medications that you have been on, decreased activity levels due to treatments, or excess eating while dealing with the stresses involved with cancer.

To combat weight gain, your doctor may:
  • Recommend a dietitian to guide you in a healthful program to lose weight that won't interfere with your cancer treatments
  • Make sure you are still receiving the amount of nutrients necessary to retain your overall strength and activity level
At home you can combat weight gain by:
  • Increasing your activity level on a daily basis (if you feel up to it), even if it is just taking the stairs or walking around the block
  • Avoiding snacking on high calorie foods; try healthy snacks such as fruit and light yogurt
Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
What are the possible side effects of chemotherapy?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
Nausea is a possible side effect of chemotherapy. We can give IV antiemetics to help with nausea dur...
Is it safe for people to be around chemotherapy patients?
Cheryl TaylorCheryl Taylor
In general, it is safe to be around chemotherapy patients. Although if you are sick it would be best...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?