How long is a course of chemotherapy or biotherapy?

A cycle of chemotherapy could take a few weeks or several months. People's healthcare team will plan how they'll get their chemotherapy. The number of cycles that people have will depend on which medicine they will be getting, and how they are feeling.

Your treatment plan will depend on your disease, how far it has advanced and the type of medications you will receive.

Chemotherapy and biotherapy are usually given in cycles. A cycle is one or more medications given on a single day or over a several days in a row. The duration of each treatment could be minutes, hours or days, depending on your treatment plan. The frequency of treatments may be weekly, every other week or monthly. And the length of treatment from start to finish could be from a few months to two years or more.

Your doctor will use physical exams and tests to measure how the chemotherapy or biotherapy is working. These tests may include blood draws, lumbar punctures, bone marrow tests, x-rays, CT and MRI scans, or echocardiograms.

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
How can I improve my quality of life after chemotherapy?
Cheryl TaylorCheryl Taylor
Maintaining an active lifestyle may help improve quality of life after chemotherapy. It is important...
What are my chances of hypogeusia becoming permanent?
Hypogeusia usually clears up when the underlying cause is resolved. In some cases, it clears up with...
Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy
Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy