How is metastatic cancer treated?

When cancer has metastasized, it may be treated with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, biological therapy, hormone therapy, surgery, cryosurgery, or a combination of these. The choice of treatment generally depends on the type of primary cancer, the size and location of the metastasis, the patient's age and general health, and the types of treatments the patient has had in the past. In patients with CUP, it is possible to treat the disease even though the primary tumor has not been located. The goal of treatment may be to control the cancer, or to relieve symptoms or side effects of treatment.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
What precautions should I take after receiving chemotherapy?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
If you go home less than 48 hours after you received your chemotherapy, please: Wash your hands ...
What items can I bring to the hospital during ASCT and high-dose chemo?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Most patients are in the hospital for two to three weeks while they have treatment with high-dos...
Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy
Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy