How is metastatic cancer treated?

When cancer has metastasized, it may be treated with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, biological therapy, hormone therapy, surgery, cryosurgery, or a combination of these. The choice of treatment generally depends on the type of primary cancer, the size and location of the metastasis, the patient's age and general health, and the types of treatments the patient has had in the past. In patients with CUP, it is possible to treat the disease even though the primary tumor has not been located. The goal of treatment may be to control the cancer, or to relieve symptoms or side effects of treatment.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

Dancing Away from Chemo-Induced Neuropathy
When Tina Fey played real-life war correspondent Kim Barker in the movie Whiskey Tango Foxtrot some reviewers thought the script was off-balance. The ...
What is chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy involves a combination of anticancer drugs. These drugs are powerful and can have many ...
How is chemotherapy used to treat cancer?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Cancer can be treated using several methods including surgery, radiation or chemotherapy.When using ...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?