How can I eat when I am nauseous from chemotherapy?

Some tips on eating during chemotherapy treatment include:

- Eat small mini-meals throughout the day
- Cold or room temperature foods may be better tolerated than hot foods
- If possible, avoid being in the room where your food is cooked to avoid the aroma from the food
- Separate your liquids and solids in your meal and eat the solids first
- If you are nauseaous first thing in the morning, eating a few crackers or dry toast may help settle your stomach
- Drinking warm ginger ale may be helpful
- Make sure to drink enough fluid (8-12 cups of fluid)
- Modify the spices and flavorings to suit your new palate

Make sure to talk to your doctor about any problems that you are having with eating or any changes in your diet.
Cheryl Taylor
Oncology Nursing
The BRAT diet is a good option to eat when nauseous. It is Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast.

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

How Cooling Caps Can Prevent Hair Loss During Chemo
As a trillion-ton iceberg calved from the Larsen C Icecap on Antarctica, scientists warned it’s just the beginning: 90 percent of the ice shelves on t...
Should I limit contact with a cancer patient who's receiving chemotherapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
There is no reason to limit contact with a cancer patient receiving chemotherapy treatment. But you ...
What is high-dose chemotherapy with stem cell transplant?
Cheryl TaylorCheryl Taylor
High-dose chemotherapy with stem cell transplant is often used in disease such as leukemia and lymph...
What Is Chemo Brain?
What Is Chemo Brain?