What are the risks of phthalates?

Did you know that a specific signal programs cells in our bodies to die? It’s totally normal and healthy for 50 billion cells in your body to die every day! But studies have shown that chemicals called phthalates can trigger what’s known as “death-inducing signaling” in testicular cells, making them die earlier than they should. Yep, that’s cell death -- in your man parts. If that’s not enough, studies have linked phthalates to hormone changes, lower sperm count, less mobile sperm, birth defects in the male reproductive system, obesity, diabetes and thyroid irregularities.
Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
The negative health effects of phthalates on the body may include reproductive issues, a larger waist size and increased insulin resistance, a precursor for diabetes. In this video, pediatrician Alan Greene, MD, discusses these health risks. 
In recent years, phthalates are often in the news, particularly due to concerns with teething babies chewing soft, vinyl toys. The studies show that phthalates disrupt hormonal function and are toxic to the male reproductive organs. Many pediatricians are concerned about phthalates because they appear capable of causing similar effects in children's bodies.

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Why the FDA Is Banning This Cleaning Ingredient
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the use of triclosan—an antibacterial ingredient found in household cleaning products—labeling it no...
Should I avoid products with phthalates?
Eliminate products made with hormone-disrupting, diabetes-triggering phthalates. The worst offen...
Where is benzene found?
Benzene is present at very low levels in air and water in our environment, coming mainly from petrol...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?