What are Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers or PBDEs?

Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers, or “PBDEs,” are flame-retardant chemicals that are used in a vast array of household items. PBDEs can be found in everything from carpet pads and foam pillows to computers and television sets. The three most commonly used PBDEs - penta, octa, and deca - can be found respectively in polyurethane foams, high impact plastics and electronic equipment.

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Why the FDA Is Banning This Cleaning Ingredient
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the use of triclosan—an antibacterial ingredient found in household cleaning products—labeling it no...
Besides heavy metals, what are other potential toxic chemicals?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Heavy metals are just one type of chemical toxin that can cause an obstacle to healing. There are ma...
How can I avoid exposure to dioxins?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
It's pretty difficult to avoid exposure to dioxins since the ongoing industrial release of dioxin ha...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?