What is a toxin?

A toxin or poison is a substance that causes a bad reaction in the body. Toxins can be breathed in, absorbed through the skin or mucous membranes, consumed through the mouth, or injected into the body via a needle or insect or snake bite.. Examples of toxins or poisons include spider and snake venom, chemicals found in detergents or other household products, poisonous gases, medications, chemicals in poisonous plants and chemicals in tobacco smoke. Some scientists use the term "toxin" when referring only to poisons created biologically from animals, fungi, plants, bacteria and the like; however, the term is often used to describe any poison. Some toxins, like botulinum, have been used for medical purposes, and many others may prove helpful in small doses for various conditions. 

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Surprising Facts About Phthalates
Surprising Facts About Phthalates
In 1973, The Kinks released their song “Plastic Man” which had the lyrics: “He eats plastic food with a plastic knife and fork… And he likes to lick h...
Should I avoid products with phthalates?
Eliminate products made with hormone-disrupting, diabetes-triggering phthalates. The worst offen...
Why was new research done on benzene?
Previous research carried out by this investigative team and by other scientists has shown that benz...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?