How can exposure to dioxins affect my health?

Dioxins are multi-taskers -- but not in a good way! They form during many industrial processes when chlorine or bromine are burned in the presence of carbon and oxygen. Dioxins can disrupt the delicate ways that both male and female sex hormone signaling occurs in the body. This is a bad thing! Here’s why: Research has shown that exposure to low levels of dioxin in the womb and early in life can both permanently affect sperm quality and lower the sperm count in men during their prime reproductive years. But that’s not all. Dioxins are very long-lived. They build up both in the body and in the food chain, are powerful carcinogens, and can also affect the immune and reproductive systems.

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Why the FDA Is Banning This Cleaning Ingredient
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has banned the use of triclosan—an antibacterial ingredient found in household cleaning products—labeling it no...
What are common toxins?
Bryce B. WyldeBryce B. Wylde
Right from the get-go, we're born into a toxic world already full of toxins. Shampoo, shaving crea...
What are the dangers of polybrominated diphenyl ether or PBDE exposure?
Research has linked exposure to Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers or PBDEs to an array of health proble...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?