How can I avoid exposure to phthalates?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
You can avoid exposure to phthalates in your food by avoiding high-fat dairy products, avoiding meat/poultry and eating lots of organic produce. Watch me discuss why the less contact food has with plastics, the better. 
If you want to avoid exposure to phthalates, a good place to start is to avoid plastic food containers, children’s toys (some phthalates are already banned in kid’s products) and plastic wrap made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which has the recycling label #3. Some personal care products also contain phthalates. Read the labels and avoid products that simply list added “fragrance,” since this catch-all term sometimes means hidden phthalates.

Continue Learning about Chemical Toxins

Those Sweet Smells Could Be Toxic
Those Sweet Smells Could Be Toxic
Between perfumes and the scents wafting off hand soaps, laundry and personal care products, air fresheners and scented candles, you end up being expos...
How can I use pool chemicals safely?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 5,000 cases of illness and inju...
How can I avoid phthalates in cosmetics?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
"Fragrance" can be a catchall word for a personal-care product that may contain phthalates or ot...
How Can I Limit Formaldehyde Exposure in My Home?