What are some risks involved with skin peels?

Any peel can cause scarring, and the deeper the peel, the more likely scarring will occur. If you have a tendency to scar, you shouldn't have peels deeper than the TCA peel. And the deeper peels can cause lightening of the skin, so if you have darker skin, there's danger in peels deeper than those that use glycolic acid. Make sure a doctor performs any peel using anything stronger than 10 percent glycolic acid; aestheticians and other assistants don't have enough knowledge to properly analyze skin and treat the occasional complications. Those plastic surgeons haven't quite figured out which of those lighter "non-ablative" lasers really do the trick. So, stay tuned; the technology of peels is still evolving.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...
The risks involved with skin peels or "chemical peels" include a small chance of developing scars or a slight change in skin color. Using birth control pills or becoming pregnant shortly after a chemical peel may increase the risks for pigmentation problems. In people who have a history of herpes outbreaks, a chemical peel may reactivate cold sores. You doctor may prescribe antiviral medication to minimize the risk of cold sores. Talk with your doctor or dermatologist about the risks involved with chemical peels.

Continue Learning about Chemical Peels

What should I expect during a trichloroacetic (TCA) peel?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
The trichloroacetic acid (TCA) peel hurts. I often prescribe a mild narcotic such as codeine, an...
What are the side effects of chemical peels?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
It's important to understand that they aren't called chemical peels for nothing.  The point of a che...
How long will the effect of chemical peels remain?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
I really depends on what type of chemical peel you have. Deep or medium depth peels can last several...
How Do Chemical Peels Work?
How Do Chemical Peels Work?