What should I look for in a good cheerleading shoe?

Cheer and dance participants put a significant amount of stress on their feet. Their shoes must be durable to withstand the stresses of practice and competition. Cheerleaders who tumble and do stunts require a shoe with stability and cushioning. Dance and pom-pom participants, who usually don’t tumble and do stunts, opt for a lighter shoe that allows more freedom of movement. Selecting a shoe that is designed for the activity is essential. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What are some exercises I can do for a back tuck?
Try incorporating a super-set technique (performing one exercise immediately after another with litt...
What type of exercises do I need to do to keep my chest up on my toe touch?
 In order to keep your chest up, you will need to improve your flexibility in your hamstrings and in...
What does it mean to have hyperextended jumps?
Having a hyper extended jump means that your legs, in the flight of the jump, are lifted high enough...
What else can I do besides stretching to make my legs straighter in jumps?
Many times your legs may bend during a jump because of tightness in the muscles in the back of t...