What type of flexibility training should I do to prepare for tryouts?

In preparation for cheerleading tryouts, you should work to establish optimal levels of flexibility in your hips and shoulders. Optimal levels of flexibility in your hips will help your form on jumps and stunts. Your goal for these activities will be to get hyper extended legs in your jumps which requires adequate length in your hip flexors, inner thighs, and low back.  You will want to have good flexibility in your shoulders, specifically in your latissimus dorsi (informally called lats), in order to make sure that you are able to have sharp upper body movements and good arm position. Performing foam rolling activities and static stretching will help you optimize the length in these muscles. Foam rolling is a form of self massage where gentle pressure is applied to knots in your muscles to help relieve tension. Apply pressure to the sensitive areas (knots) for 20 – 30 seconds in order to maximize the benefits. You should perform static stretches on the same areas you foam roll and hold each stretch for 30 seconds in order to lengthen your muscles. You can perform these flexibility techniques seven days per week. 

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What type of core training do I need to do to be a flyer in throws?
It will be important to develop high levels of power through your core to improve your throws. H...
Do I need to improve my power to do my jumps better?
Yes, you will need power to improve your jumps. However, you will also need stability and strength...
What should I do to get better at layouts in a basket toss?
In a layout basket toss, you are going to need to focus almost completely on power in your legs and ...
What will limit me from being a flyer in tosses?
 Assuming you are of ideal height and weight, other limiting factors that may prevent you from being...