What type of flexibility training should I do to prepare for tryouts?

In preparation for cheerleading tryouts, you should work to establish optimal levels of flexibility in your hips and shoulders. Optimal levels of flexibility in your hips will help your form on jumps and stunts. Your goal for these activities will be to get hyper extended legs in your jumps which requires adequate length in your hip flexors, inner thighs, and low back.  You will want to have good flexibility in your shoulders, specifically in your latissimus dorsi (informally called lats), in order to make sure that you are able to have sharp upper body movements and good arm position. Performing foam rolling activities and static stretching will help you optimize the length in these muscles. Foam rolling is a form of self massage where gentle pressure is applied to knots in your muscles to help relieve tension. Apply pressure to the sensitive areas (knots) for 20 – 30 seconds in order to maximize the benefits. You should perform static stretches on the same areas you foam roll and hold each stretch for 30 seconds in order to lengthen your muscles. You can perform these flexibility techniques seven days per week. 

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What will limit me from being a flyer in tosses?
 Assuming you are of ideal height and weight, other limiting factors that may prevent you from being...
How far in advance should I begin my training for tryouts?
It is recommended that you begin your physical preparation for cheerleading tryouts12 weeks in advan...
What type of training program should I engage in to be a base?
If you are a base, you will need to develop total body power. To be powerful, you must be stable a...
Should I do resistance training if I want to be a cheerleader?
Louis Vitale, NASM Elite TrainerLouis Vitale, NASM Elite Trainer
I would certainly recommend a resistance training program for cheerleading. In the same way the athl...