What type of flexibility is needed for a back handspring?

In order to do a back handspring, you will need adequate amounts of flexibility in your hips.In order to improve your flexibility here, you should incorporate two types of flexibility training.The first type is called foam rolling and it is a gentle form of self massage where you roll back and forth on a roller until you find a sensitive area (known as a knot).Once you are able to locate a knot in your muscles, you will then hold the pressure in the one area for 20 to 30 seconds,This helps the muscle to relax, making it better able to lengthen when you add in your static stretching.Static stretching involves moving into a stretch and holding it for 20 – 30 seconds.In order to perform a static stretch on your hips, you will want to get down and kneel on one knee with your other leg bent and in frontof you.Gently lean forward, keeping your hips straight - do not bend at the waist!You should feel the tightness in the front of your hip.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What stretching should I be doing to make my legs straighter in my jumps?
 In order to make sure that your legs are straighter in your jumps, you will want to work to improve...
What type of exercises do I need to do to keep my chest up on my toe touch?
 In order to keep your chest up, you will need to improve your flexibility in your hamstrings and in...
What will limit me from being a flyer in tosses?
 Assuming you are of ideal height and weight, other limiting factors that may prevent you from being...
What should I look for in a good cheerleading shoe?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Cheer and dance participants put a significant amount of stress on their feet. Their shoes must ...