What type of flexibility do I need to do in order to do a scorpion?

When trying to establish good levels of flexibility to perform a scorpion, you should incorporate the techniques of foam rolling and static stretching on your hip flexors and your lats. Foam rolling is a form of self massage where you roll back and forth on a roller until you find a sensitive area (known as a knot or adhesion). Once you are able to locate a knot on your hip flexors (the front of your hip), you will then hold the pressure in the one area for 20 to 30 seconds, This forces the muscle to relax, making them better able to lengthen and stretch when you perform your next flexibility technique. The next type of flexibility that you will want to incorporate is called static stretching and it involves moving into a stretch and holding it for 30 seconds in order to lengthen the muscle. In order to perform a static stretch on your hip flexors, you will want to get down and kneel on one knee with your other leg bent and in front  of you. Gently push forward into the stretch. You should feel the tightness in the front of your hip; stop at the first point of tension and hold the stretch for 30 seconds. You will also want to establish good levels of flexibility in your lats as well. Using the same two techniques, foam rolling and static stretching, begin with foam rolling the lats. Lay on your side with the foam roller placed slightly beneath your underarm. Roll until you are able to find a tender area and then hold pressure on the spot for 20-30 seconds. In order to stretch your lats, kneel down on both knees and reach both arms completely in front of you, resting them on a chair or stability ball. You can further enhance the stretch by performing it one arm at a time. Make sure that your back is slightly rounded and try to rotate the arm so that your palm is facing up.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What type of core training do I need to do to be a flyer in throws?
It will be important to develop high levels of power through your core to improve your throws. H...
How can I increase the height of my jumps?
For you to increase the height of your jumps, you will need to increase your power. To increase ...
Should I be doing additional workouts if a competition is coming up?
If a competition is coming up relatively quickly, you should still be doing workouts in addition to ...
If I am heavier, can I still be a flyer?
Maybe, there are skills and abilities that flyers need to possess in order to effectively execute ...