Do I need to improve my power to do my jumps better?

Yes, you will need power to improve your jumps. However, you will also need stability and strength to become more powerful. So this should be the primary focus to improve power. To help improve lower extremity stability, you can perform a single-leg squat. Stand on one leg while keeping your hands on your hips. Keeping the stomach tight, slowly squat down on the one leg to roughly the height of a chair while keeping the knee in line with the toes. Hold the lowered position for 1-2 seconds. Tighten the gluteal on the stance leg and stand back up. Perform 1-2 sets of 10-15 repetitions and repeat on the other leg. After you have developed good stability, you can  work on improving lower body strength. This can be done by performing dumbbell squats. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart while holding dumbbells at your sides. Keeping your stomach tight, slowly squat down to roughly the height of a chair and stand back up, keeping your knees in line with your toes. Use a weight where the last 2-3 repetitions are challenging to complete. Perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Lastly, once you have developed ample amounts of strength, you can now begin working on improving power. This can be done by performing squat jumps. Stand in a good athletic position with your feet should width appart and pointing straight ahead. Then, while keeping your stomach tight, squat down and jump up as high as you can. Land softly keeping your feet straight and knees in line with your toes as you land and repeat as quickly as you can. Perform 2-3 sets of 10 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What type of core training do I need to do to be a flyer in throws?
It will be important to develop high levels of power through your core to improve your throws. H...
What should I do to get better at layouts in a basket toss?
In a layout basket toss, you are going to need to focus almost completely on power in your legs and ...
Is genetics preventing me from doing a scorpion?
Assuming that you have incorporated flexibility training into your program correctly, there might ...
What lower body work should I do to be better in my throws as a flyer?
Increasing your power is crucial because your throw begins with power produced from your legs. T...