How can I increase the height of my jumps?

For you to increase the height of your jumps, you will need to increase your power. To increase power, however, you'll first need to increase the stability and strength of your core and lower extremities. To accomplish this, you can begin by performing squat jumps with stabilization to improve landing techniques and stability. Stand in a good athletic position with your feet should width apart and pointing straight ahead. Then, while keeping your stomach tight, squat down and jump up as high as you can. Land softly keeping your feet straight and knees in line with your toes as you land. Hold the landing position for 3 seconds and repeat. You can perform 2 sets of 10 repetitions. Once you have established good stability and landing mechanics, you can perform the squat jumps faster in a more repeated fashion with less time holding the landing. Finally, progress to squat jumps performed as fast and explosively as possible, which will ultimately improve overall power in your core and lower extremity. Again, you can perform 2 sets of 10 repetitions. <br />

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What should I look for in a good cheerleading shoe?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Cheer and dance participants put a significant amount of stress on their feet. Their shoes must ...
Should I do cardio training in addition to my cheer practices?
Yes, you should do cardio training in addition to your cheer practices in order to support the cardi...
What balance exercises should I do to improve single leg lifts as a flyer?
As a flyer in single leg lifts, you will need to work on better developing your balance in order...
Will a cardio program provide leg strength and conditioning for cheer?
Strong legs are important in all aspects of cheerleading. Squats, lunges, and calf raises are comm...