Is genetics preventing me from doing a scorpion?

Assuming that you have incorporated flexibility training into your program correctly, there might be other limiting factors that will prevent you from doing a scorpion. If you have a longer torso with shorter arms and legs, it might be more difficult for you to reach your arms from the top of the back of your head to your foot. Conversely, if you have a shorter torso with longer legs, you have more length from which you can grab your limbs and pull your leg to the back of your head. Regardless, high levels of flexibility in your hips and latissimus dorsi (back muscle) will be crucial for your to be able to hold a scorpion pose.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What else can I do besides stretching to make my legs straighter in jumps?
Many times your legs may bend during a jump because of tightness in the muscles in the back of t...
Should I do cardio training in addition to my cheer practices?
Yes, you should do cardio training in addition to your cheer practices in order to support the cardi...
Should cheerleading flyers train differently that someone who is a base?
Like most sports, there are different positions or specialties in cheerleading. This will requir...
What should I do to get better at layouts in a basket toss?
In a layout basket toss, you are going to need to focus almost completely on power in your legs and ...