Should I focus on sprints or endurance for cheerleading?

Cheerleading is a series of high-intensity anaerobic bursts, but the length of the routine demands much from the aerobic system. This means you must work on your endurance training so you can maintain the routine at a high level of energy throughout. This type of training is done around your anaerobic threshold for longer periods, and can be done on cardio equipment to reduce the impact on your legs or joints. It can also be done with longer runs outside. The anaerobic system is needed for lifting or throwing a teammate. Not only do you have to perform this power movement, but you might have to repeat the movement many times during your routine. This will require the use of your anaerobic system. Training on cardio equipment that focuses on short, high-intensity bursts and using the total body is the most beneficial.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What type of training program should I engage in to be a base?
If you are a base, you will need to develop total body power. To be powerful, you must be stable a...
How can I increase the height of my jumps?
For you to increase the height of your jumps, you will need to increase your power. To increase ...
What type of flexibility is needed for a back handspring?
In order to do a back handspring, you will need adequate amounts of flexibility in your hips.In orde...
How can I work circuit training into my cheerleading schedule?
Circuit training is a great way to work both a cardiovascular and strength training session into...