How far in advance should I begin my training for tryouts?

It is recommended that you begin your physical preparation for cheerleading tryouts12 weeks in advance,Twelve weeks will give you adequate time to develop the flexibility, endurance, strength, and power necessary to execute skills in cheerleading. If you have not developed the technical skills you will be evaluated on, it is recommended that you begin training even sooner because you wonrswant to begin demanding activities such as tumbling, stunting, and jumping until your body is able to handle the load.The first four weeks of your training program should be devoted to endurance or stabilization training.This form of training gets your body ready for more intense workouts later in your training program and helps to prevent injury, improve endurance, and maximize performance. Stabilization training involves using exercises that challenge your body ability to stabilize your core region and balance more effectively. For example, you may perform a dumbbell bicep curl on one leg for your arms or perform squats on one leg for your legs. Typically you would perform 1-3 sets of each exercise for 12-25 repetitions. After four weeks of training for stability, you can progress to strength training for the next four weeks. This form of training will help you become stronger and generate more force. During this form of training you will begin using exercises that are done in more stable environments so you can lift more weight. For example, rather than doing a bicep curl on one leg, you can perform them seated or using a bicep curl machine. Or, instead of doing your squats on one leg, now you would perform them on two legs or use a leg press machine. Because you will be using a little heavier weight, you would perform 2-3 sets or 8-10 repetitions of each exercise. After you've performed four weeks of strength training, begin power training to become more powerful and generate force quickly. This will be important in cheerleading due to all of the jumping that is required. The exercises you perform in power training are done with speed and are more explosive. For example, perform squat jumps in which you are repetitively jumping up as high as you can control. Or for your upper body you may throw a medicine ball against a wall or to a partner as hard as you can control. When training for power, you can perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 repetitions. At the end of your 12-week training cycle, you should stable, strong and powerful enough to excel at your try outs.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What does it mean to have hyperextended jumps?
Having a hyper extended jump means that your legs, in the flight of the jump, are lifted high enough...
What should cheerleaders do during pre-season training?
The goal of pre-season cardiovascular training for cheerleading is to build a good aerobic base....
What should I look for in a good cheerleading shoe?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Cheer and dance participants put a significant amount of stress on their feet. Their shoes must ...
What should I do to get better at layouts in a basket toss?
In a layout basket toss, you are going to need to focus almost completely on power in your legs and ...