Should I do resistance training if I want to be a cheerleader?

I would certainly recommend a resistance training program for cheerleading. In the same way the athletes you are cheering on train for their sport, cheerleading can be demanding on the body's core, arms and legs.

A properly designed resistance training program will not only help in improving your overall performance but will lead to fewer injuries as well. Given the movements needed, I would certainly work with full range of motion techniques and heavily stress flexibility training as well.

Also depending on how you utilize cheerleading (i.e. sidelines vs. competitively) in conjunction with your position; you should also consider strength and power based exercises.

Get Up, Get Out, Get Going...

www.NYFitnessGroup.com

Strength training may not be necessary for being a cheerleader, but it will help you with your overall appearance, health, and fitness in competing for a cheerleader position. Strength training is an effective method for losing weight, gaining lean muscle mass, losing body fat, toning the body, and improving your physical fitness appearance. The additional lean muscle mass will improve your overall body structure, strength, and repair system, while increasing  your metabolism, resulting in more calories consumed.

Yes, resistance training will be important for cheerleading. Due to the requirements of the sport (jumping, tumbling, holding other individuals, etc.), the muscles of your core, arms and legs need to be strong to be able to handle those stressors without getting injured. Stronger muscles will also help you perform those activities more effectively. Before you start a resistance training program, it will be important to have a professional perform a structural assessment on you to determine any postural issues that may need to be addressed to decrease your risk of injuring yourself when resistance training. This assessment will also help the professional determine the appropriate resistance training exercises to include in your program to help increase strength without exacerbating any postural issues that may be present.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

What type of training program should I engage in to be a base?
If you are a base, you will need to develop total body power. To be powerful, you must be stable a...
What type of training should I be doing in order to get ready for camp?
It is recommended that you begin your physical preparation for cheerleading tryouts 12 weeks in adva...
What else can I do besides stretching to make my legs straighter in jumps?
Many times your legs may bend during a jump because of tightness in the muscles in the back of t...
What does it mean to have hyperextended jumps?
Having a hyper extended jump means that your legs, in the flight of the jump, are lifted high enough...