What should cheerleaders do during pre-season training?

The goal of pre-season cardiovascular training for cheerleading is to build a good aerobic base. For some cheerleaders, it might also mean weight management. To start the process for both building a base and weight loss, focus on building up the work capacity. This is done by doing lower-intensity work, on cardio equipment if possible, to reduce the pounding on your joints.  Pre-season training is meant to prepare you for the season ahead, so there is a fine line between preparing for the season and setting yourself up for burnout in the middle of the year. Building the work capacity slowly is a safe way to ensure you are peak at the right time during the season. Once you can handle at least thirty minutes of low-intensity training, increase your aerobic base by pushing the anaerobic threshold higher. Cheerleading made of up a series of anaerobic bursts, so strengthening the anaerobic system is very important.  By the end of the pre-season you should be doing more anaerobic training, working  on power and speed, and maintaining your endurance.

Continue Learning about Cheerleading

Is genetics preventing me from doing a scorpion?
Assuming that you have incorporated flexibility training into your program correctly, there might ...
What type of exercises do I need to do to keep my chest up on my toe touch?
 In order to keep your chest up, you will need to improve your flexibility in your hamstrings and in...
What type of flexibility is needed for a back handspring?
In order to do a back handspring, you will need adequate amounts of flexibility in your hips.In orde...
How far in advance should I begin my training for tryouts?
It is recommended that you begin your physical preparation for cheerleading tryouts12 weeks in advan...