What questions should I ask my doctor about scheduling a c-section?

Cesarean birth (also called c-section) is surgery in which your baby is born through a cut that your doctor makes in your belly and uterus. Having a c-section before 39 weeks of pregnancy should only be for medical reasons. If your provider wants to schedule your c-section, ask these questions:
  • Why do I need to have a c-section?
  • Is there a problem with my health or the health of my baby that may make me need to have my baby earlier than 39 weeks?
  • What problems can a c-section cause for me and my baby?
  • Can I have a vaginal birth in future pregnancies?
Learn more at: marchofdimes.org

Continue Learning about Cesarean Delivery (C-Section) & Pregnancy

What is a cesarean delivery?
Dr. Tessie M. Larrieu, MDDr. Tessie M. Larrieu, MD
In this video, Tessie Larrieu, MD, in obstetrics and gynecology at Mercy Hospital describes a cesare...
What are the reasons for an elective C-section?
A woman may choose to have a C-section if there's a family history of damage to the pelvic floor tha...
What are the risks of having a caesarean section (C-section)?
C-sections come with their share of risks for Mom, like infection, difficulty breastfeeding, and fut...
If I've Had a C-Section, Will I Need One for My Next Pregnancy?