What is a cesarean delivery?

Dr. Tessie M. Larrieu, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

In this video, Tessie Larrieu, MD, in obstetrics and gynecology at Mercy Hospital describes a cesarean delivery and why it's becoming more popular in the United States.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

A cesarean delivery is the surgical procedure that is performed to deliver a baby if a vaginal delivery is not possible for any reason. This procedure is done in the operating room and involves an incision on the lower part of your abdomen. A cesarean delivery may be performed if there is concern for the safety of the infant or if a pregnant woman is experiencing labor that is not progressing. After a cesarean section you will stay in the hospital for an average of three days before going home.

Cesarean birth (also called c-section) is surgery in which your baby is born through a cut that your doctor makes in your belly and uterus. Most babies are born through vaginal birth. But if there are problems with your pregnancy or with your baby’s health, you may need to have your baby by c-section. If you’re planning to schedule a c-section, talk to your healthcare provider about waiting until at least 39 weeks of pregnancy. This gives your baby the time he needs to grow and develop before birth. Learn more at marchofdimes.org/39weeks.

Continue Learning about Cesarean Delivery (C-Section) & Pregnancy

Should I have a C-section to prevent pelvic floor injury during childbirth?
May M. Wakamatsu, MDMay M. Wakamatsu, MD
Researchers who published a study in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology suggested that health...
How do I know if a cesarean section (C-section) is necessary?
Whether or not to perform a C-section can be a tricky call. A doctor needs to determine whether ther...
What are the medical conditions that can require a C-section?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
For women who have certain medical conditions - including heart, kidney, or neurological diseases; f...
If I've Had a C-Section, Will I Need One for My Next Pregnancy?