What happens during a caesarean section (C-section)?

If you and your birthing team decide on a C-section, you'll receive a spinal/epidural-block anesthetic. Then they'll sterilize your skin; make the incision above the hairline (pubic obviously), and peel the bladder off the lower part of the cervix so the baby can be delivered through an incision low in the uterus.

A low incision is the key to having a VBAC (vaginal birth after C-section - for the next child, you do not have to undergo it twice for this one). If the incision is high in the uterus where the muscle contracts, when the uterine muscle thins and contracts during the next pregnancy, it is more likely to burst, so your doctor would recommend a planned cesarean for subsequent pregnancies.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Cesarean Delivery (C-Section) & Pregnancy

If I've had a C-section, will I need one for my next pregnancy?
Ashley B. Briggs, MDAshley B. Briggs, MD
If you've had a C-section, you don't necessarily have go that route the next time around. In this vi...
What does a scar from a cesarean section (C-section) look like?
Dr. Jeanne M. Falk, MDDr. Jeanne M. Falk, MD
A scar from a C-section is generally a very small incision. We call it a fan and steel incision. For...
Can I schedule my C-section?
If you're thinking of scheduling a C-section for the sake of convenience, think again, says Dr. Oz. ...
6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section
6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section6 Things You Should Know About Having a C-Section
Cesareans are some of the most common surgeries and account for one-third of all births in the US. Cesarean delivery, also known as a C-section, is a ...